What does this mean if you currently run Sametime 7.5 on IBM i 5.4?
- Since Sametime 7.5 is not supported on IBM i 7.1, you'll need to upgrade to Sametime 8.5.2
- Sametime 8.5.2 requires you to use Windows or Linux on x86-64 servers for the audio/video components now offered in Sametime Media Manager.
- Deploying Sametime Media Manager will require you to:
- Pay for and deploy more physical x86-64 servers
- Pay for licensing/support costs for Windows or Linux.
- You'll also have to cable that stuff accordingly which means more wires, more used switch ports, more complexity and more points of failure.
- Consider training. Do you have any Linux expertise? Windows server expertise?
What's the alternative? Unfortunately, some have said to me that since they're forced to now use Windows/Linux for audio/video in meetings then they would have to look at all options possible. This means investigate products from other vendors that run on Windows or Linux. It's very sad and unfortunate.
But don't go that route!
What you can do is make IBM listen to you. Tell them you want complete Sametime support on IBM i.