I was the 1st person on the newest client. Everyone else was on the stock 8.0.2 Sametime client that comes with the Notes 8.5.1 install image we have everyone on.
A couple of issues we had:
- Sametime Proxy Server just would not accept a connection to the web based chat.
- With Proxy not working, the Meeting Server presence awareness business card feature did not work.
- With the 8.5.2 client, public groups just would not work. I kept getting a public group subscription is pending error and 0 contacts in the public group.
- Sametime policies weren't coming down to the client level. The SSC was properly assigning them though.
- Sametime awareness in the Inbox went away for everybody. The embedded client worked fine, just the view awareness with the little colored Sametime icons were gone.
The inbox awareness was easy enough. I needed to check the flag in Sametime preferences to "Use canonical names for status lookup." I pushed that flag out via a policy in the Administrator client.
After scratching my head for a month, working with IBM support and getting our business partner involved, we just couldn't understand why the other items would not work.
Here's what was causing the issue:
Part of the change to Domino LDAP required the following line in the Sametime.ini file:
This setting is the "Name of java class that implements a directory Black Box, which looks for user public groups through organization Directory." I had changed this setting when moving over from a Domino directory to Domino LDAP. If you don't use LDAP, it would be *.notes.DirldapBlackBox
After scouring my sametime.ini the other day, I checked this parameter and it just didn't look right. There should be a capital L in DirldapBlackBox. I changed it to:
Immediately my public groups began populating. Too good to be true. Fluke?
I checked Proxy server web chat. Works.
Business card awareness in meeting rooms? Yee haw!
Lesson learned. If you can copy and paste a string then do it. Don't type it out.